The National Budget 2019-2020 of the Republic of Mauritius was presented on the 10th of June 2019 and is entitled Embracing a Brighter Future Together as a Nation.
The Hon. Pravind Kumar Jugnauth, Prime Minister of Mauritius stated that this budget is about distributing the fruits of strong, effective and appropriate economic, social and environmental policies to the country and the population as a whole. Economic growth is resilient, the unemployment rate is falling, inflation is under control, poverty is declining, income inequality is being reduced and the country’s infrastructure is being modernised highlighted the Prime Minister.
He further mentioned that these achievements have been possible due to the cooperation and dedication of the population and all stakeholders.
This year again, he believes that the national budget reflects the development goals of the Government but also and most importantly, the aspirations and priorities of the citizens of the Republic of Mauritius.
The highlights of the 2019/2020 Budget are:-
1) Expanding and modernising the infrastructure;
2) Dealing with the challenges facing the sugar and manufacturing sectors, including textiles;
3) Investing in new pillars of growth, in particular, AI technologies;
4) Encouraging a new culture of entrepreneurship;
5) Further opening up and integrating the economy with the rest of the world;
6) Investing in the education, training and other skills needed by the youth, so that they are better prepared for the future;
7) Addressing the impact of demographic change;
8) Promoting gender equality - "think equal, build smart and innovate for change";
9) Promoting a more inclusive and equitable society and further addressing the problem of poverty; and
10) Building greater resilience to the impact of climate change.
We invite you to read more about the Budgetary measures in our Budget Special: https://www.juristax.com/national-budget-2019-2020/National-Budget-2019-2020.pdf